PpcProtect
10% OFF WEDDING RINGS FROM £150 EXP MARCH 31st CODE MAR-150
star review icon star review icon star review icon Sstar review icon star review icon
3746 REAL CUSTOMER REVIEWS!
Read our latest Feefo customer reviews
UK FREEPHONE : 0800 074 8811
INTL : +44 (0) 1273 696 515
0 0

BUYER'S GUIDE - METALS - Platinum

WEDDING RING METALS - PLATINUM

Chemical symbol: Pt

Atomic number: 78

Platinum wedding rings

The most common platinum alloy in wedding rings is 950, which means the platinum has a purity of 95%. The composition of the remaining 5% varies depending on which supplier we use, but is usually ruthenium.

Click here link to browse our range of platinum wedding rings.

How to care for platinum rings

Platinum is the strongest precious metal used in jewellery, however can still incur scratches and develop a patina of wear. The patina (a satin sheen that develops on the surface of a ring produced by daily wear and tiny scratches) is considered by many to be a unique and often desirable attribute, however, the shine and reflective lustre can easily be restored by any jeweller at any time.

Take great care with your platinum wedding band and consider removing it when doing chores or when there's risk of it coming into contact with hard substances or harsh chemicals.

Platinum can be cleaned using shop-bought jewellery cleaner or by soaking it in a warm and mild solution of soap and water. Gently rub the ring with a soft cloth to dry.

Platinum properties and usage

Platinum is a really useful metal which is widely used in industry - most famously for catalytic converters in cars. This combination of high demand and great rarity means platinum is a relatively expensive metal and is the most expensive metal we sell.

Platinum is a favourite for use in jewellery because it resists wear and corrosion, and because it is hypo-allergenic. When scratched, the metal is displaced rather than lost, so the volume of metal remains the same. Platinum used in jewellery is an alloy and is mixed with other metals to refine its characteristics.

History

'Platinum' comes from the Spanish word platina, which means "little silver" - the first platinum was discovered in the sixteenth century when panning for gold, and it was thought to be an impure nuisance!

Platinum has been found in artefacts from as far back as 700BC. 18th century scientists identified platinum as potentially useful, but found it difficult to use due to its high melting point and hardness. This changed in the 19th century, when technological advancements meant scientists were able to alloy platinum with other metals to make it malleable. Historically, major global sources of platinum have included Russia and Canada, but today most platinum comes from river beds in South Africa. Demand from Japan in the 1960s brought platinum to the forefront of the jewellery market, and since then it has been cherished for its purity, colour and prestige. Since the 1980s, platinum has also been identified as potentially useful in medicine, specifically in treating cancer and in pacemakers.

Platinum is an extremely rare element - it is said that if all the worlds platinum reserves were poured into an Olympic sized swimming pool, there would only be enough to cover your ankles. For comparison, all the world's gold reserves would fill three pools of equivalent size.

Free ring sizer and our sample service

We provide a free ring sizer for you to identify your correct size, we also advise you make use of our sample service to identify the right size, width and profile of your ring.

Need some help or advice?
We have a number of services and resources available to help you choose the perfect ring.
Have a question? We're here to help
If you'd like to speak to someone (without any sales talk or pressure to buy), our friendly team of experts are here to help and guide you.
Anthony - Wedding Rings Direct
Anthony
Mika - Wedding Rings Direct
Mika
Charlie - Wedding Rings Direct
Charlie
Tilda - Wedding Rings Direct
Tilda
Kim - Wedding Rings Direct
Kim
Rita - Wedding Rings Direct
Rita
UK FREEPHONE: 0800 074 8811
INTL: +44 (0) 1273 696 515
Logo for National association of Jewellers
Gemological Institute of America Logo
DHL Logo
Paypal Logo
Visa Logo
MasterCard Logo

Discover special offers & exciting new ranges

Data processing corresponds to GDPR policy

Sign up to our newsletter...
SHOWROOM
Wedding Rings Direct Ltd
New England House
New England Street
Brighton
BN1 4GH
01273 696515

PLEASE CONTACT US TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
ICO Registration Number: Z9960380 - VAT Registration Number: 762280532
© Copyright 1999-2019 Wedding Rings Direct Limited
Partnered with Wedding Rings by Kodega